The call for ethics in dairy cattle marketing has never been louder. With the increased power of programs like Adobe Photoshop, the ability to edit and manipulate pictures and ads has never been easier. For this reason, the Bullvine in combination with other dairy cattle marketers is pleased to introduce The Dairy Marketing Code of Conduct.
What is the Code?
- The Code sets out specific standards of conduct for participants in the dairy cattle marketing industry in relation to individuals, organizations and consumers and serves as a benchmark in the highest level of ethics showing to all breeders that they can buy with confidence that the images, ads, and promotional materials they are seeing are of the highest ethical standard.
- The requirements of the Code are based on common sense and are matters of fairness and honesty. The Code not only promotes ethical behavior but also is intended to serve as a point of reference for Members to ensure they follow acceptable best practices and ethical guidelines.
The Objectives of the Code :
- To ensure business and consumers have access to the product and service information they need to make informed accurate choices and decisions
- To promote a culture among members of conducting their businesses fairly, honestly, ethically and in accordance with best practices; and
- To increase business and breeder confidence in doing business with dairy cattle genetic companies and breeders.
Why Is The Code Necessary?
- The world dairy genetics market is big business. No longer is it possible for breeders to personally see the animals they are looking to invest in. Because we now operate at a distance rather than face-to-face with fellow breeders, dairy genetics organizations and breeders must place greater emphasis on establishing breeder confidence and trust. This is especially true in dairy cattle livestock photos, where tools like Adobe Photoshop have taken the potential of digital editing and photo manipulation to completely new levels.
- The future expansion of dairy marketing depends on the players conducting their business in a fair, honest and ethical manner in dealing with other businesses and with consumers. Only by doing so can the reputation of the industry be enhanced so that breeder demand will continue to grow.
To Whom Does This Code Apply?
- Livestock Photographers
- Graphic Designers
- Artificial Insemination Companies
- Dairy Cattle Genetics Companies
- Dairy Cattle Breeders
What are the benefits of membership?
- With breeder confidence in the images and ads they see at an all-time low, the ability to display to breeders that your marketing and genetics meet the highest ethical standards is a great way to reassure them that you value your relationship with them.
- All members of this program will have the ability to place the Dairy Marketing Code of Conduct (DMCC) logo on their images and ads, showing all who view those ads/images that they can buy with confidence knowing that the decisions they make based on these ads and images meet the highest standards in the industry.
- Members will be entitled to exclusive training. That is correct, as part of the program there will be training from some of the greatest experts in the industry today. In such areas as:
- Photoshop and digital post production for dairy cattle marketers
- Video and post production for dairy cattle marketers
- Advanced photo and video capture best practices
- Dairy cattle ad design concepts and best practices
What are the penalties for violation of the code?
For all those who sign up for the program and then do not adhere to its code of conduct the follow actions will occur:
- Original photos must be provided upon request
- All claims must be able to be substantiated with factual proof/documentation.
- There will be an appeal process where said individuals/organizations can defend their case against being expelled.
- If it is deemed that those photos/images/claims do not comply with the program, said member will be publicly expelled from the program.
Who is responsible for running the program?
- Initially, the Bullvine and its agents will be responsible for the development and enforcement of the program for a 1 year period. After that, there will be the development of a Council for Ethical Dairy Cattle Marketing that will take over the development and encouragement of ethical practices, with the Bullvine supporting and administering the program.
The Bullvine Bottom Line
While this Code of Conduct is obviously in the early stages of development, we trust that photographers, graphic designers and other members of the dairy marketing community will take time to think about where the industry is headed and why now is the time for the establishment of best practices and ethical guidelines that help grow business for all community members.
To get a copy of the Dairy Marketing Code of Conduct please click here.
If you believe that there is a need for a ethical standard in marketing dairy cattle genetics please like and share this post.