The Youth Fitting Contest kicked of World Dairy Expo® 2021 events on Sunday, September 26 at the Alliant Energy Center. 37 youth participants represented nine U.S. States, and one Canadian Province. These contestants, ranging in age from 13-21, were allotted 60 minutes to prepare their animal to be show-quality ready. Judging the Youth Fitting Contest was Jason Danhof, professional fitter and dairy cattle genetics merchandiser from Waukon, Iowa.
Jasenko Gavranovic, New Ulm, Minnesota, was presented the Overall Fitter Award after topping the Senior Male Division. For this achievement, Gavranovic received a jacket and chute lighting, sponsored by Images Custom Embroidery and Under Udder LED Lighting, respectively. Dana Johnson, Tomah, Wisconsin, was the top finisher in the Senior Female Division, on the heels of her win at the intermediate level at the last WDE. Her and Gavranovic were each presented clippers from Clipper Parts & Repair, in recognition of their accomplishments. The first-place finishers in the Intermediate Male and Female Divisions, Payton Calvert, Cuba City, Wisconsin and Alexis Blankenberg, Platteville, Wisconsin, respectively, were presented fitting mats from Weaver Livestock.
Other awards included neck ribbons with medallions and cash prizes to top five finishers in each division, courtesy of the Klossner Family, FarmFirst Dairy Cooperative, ABS Global/St. Jacobs ABC and Mill Wheel Show Clinics. Mill Wheel Show Clinics also provided clippers for the second-place finisher in both the Senior Male and Female Divisions.
Placings for the Youth Fitting Contest are as follows:
Intermediate Female Division:
- Alexis Blankenberg, Platteville, Wis.
- Adhyn Schell, Lewiston, Minn.
- Ellie Larson, Evansville, Wis.
- Jamie Gibbs, Rollingstone, Minn.
- Shelby Knoble, Lancaster, Wis.
Intermediate Male Division:
- Payton Calvert, Cuba City, Wis.
- Nathan Rumovicz, New Berlin, N.Y.
- Joseph Achen, Little Falls, Minn.
- Mason Ziemba, Durhamville, N.Y.
- Wesley Winch, Fennimore, Wis.
Senior Female Division:
- Dana Johnson, Tomah, Wis.
- Cassie Gebert, Wawaka, Ind.
- Brooke Hammann, Barron, Wis.
- Haley Beukema, New Richmond, Wis.
- Sophie Leach, Linwood, Kan.
Senior Male Division:
- Jasenko Gavranovic, New Ulm, Minn.
- Robert Nagel, Clymer, N.Y.
- Dillon Freeman, Bremen, Ind.
- Keenan Thygesen, Tunbridge, Vt.
- Jordan Hawthorne, Listowel, Ontario, Canada
Serving as the meeting place of the global dairy industry, World Dairy Expo brings together the latest in dairy innovation and the best cattle in North America. The dairy industry will return to Madison, Wis. for the 54th event, September 28 – October 2, 2021, when the world’s largest dairy-focused trade show, dairy and forage seminars, a world-class dairy cattle show and more will be on display. Download the World Dairy Expo mobile event app, visit worlddairyexpo.com or follow WDE on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Spotify, Instagram or YouTube for more information.