The team from Wisconsin took home top honors in the National 4-H Dairy Cattle Judging Contest on Monday, October 2. The Wisconsin team of Ben Buske, Dawson Nickels, Kylie Nickels and Matthew Gunst finished the contest as the top team overall and the first place team in reasons, with all the team members placing in the top five for reasons. Coming in a close second place finish overall and second overall in reasons, was the Maryland team of Todd Allen, Faith Burton, Ethan Miller and Alicia Hoff. Kylie Nickels, of Wisconsin, took home the honor of high individual overall, beating out Jacob Twohey, Minn., by two points.
Teams and individuals receiving recognition include:
Top Ten Teams – Overall:
- Wisconsin, 2017, team members: Ben Buske, Dawson Nickels, Kylie Nickels and Matthew Gunst, coached by Linda Behling and Carrie Warmka
- Maryland, 2014, team members: Todd Allen, Faith Burton, Ethan Miller and Alicia Hoff, coached by Kelly Zepp and Parker Welch
- Missouri, 1973, team members: Lora Wright, Ellie Wantland, Grant Groves and Daryin Sharp, coached by Ted Probert and Karla Deaver
- Minnesota, 1971, team members: Brenna Connelly, Catherine Thompson, Jacob Twohey and Isaac Rott, coached by Migliazzo, Petit, Rott and Rott
- Michigan, 1941, team members: Gerrit Baker, Miriah Dershem, Kristen Burkhardt and Chelsea Barnes, coached by Joe Domecq and Sarah Black
- Illinois, 1931, team members: Jared Dickman, Connor Erbsen, Dawn Irwin and Lauren Robison, coached by David Fischer
- Ohio, 1927, team members: Brennan Topp, Ian Lokai, Sarah Lehner and Lauren Almasy, coached by Sherry Smith
- Indiana, 1911, team members: Grace Klopfenstein, Jim Feitz, Bryce Birk and Arden Scutchfield, coached by Greg Klopfenstein
- Washington, 1880, team members: Alicia Smaciarz, Kachary Schilter, Karsen Morris and Daesha Ali, coached by Lonny Schilter and Lana Smaciarz
- Pennsylvania, 1878, team members: Hannah Diehl, Jessica Nolt, Tyson Harnish and Hannah Houseknecht, coached by Chad Dechow
Top Ten Individuals – Overall:
- Kylie Nickels, 688, Wis.
- Jacob Twohey, 686, Minn.
- Todd Allen, 685, Md.
- Faith Burton, 681, Md.
- Miriah Dershem, 676, Minn.
- Lora Wright, 673, Mo.
- Ben Buske, 668, Wis.
- Grace Klopfenstein, 668, Ind.
- Ellie Wantland, 667, Mo.
- Matthew Gunst, 661, Wis.
Top Ten Teams – Reasons:
- Wisconsin, 687, coached by Linda Behling and Carrie Warmka
- Maryland, 654, coached by Kelly Zepp and Parker Welch
- Missouri, 648, coached by Ted Probert and Karla Deaver
- Michigan, 648, coached by Joe Domecq and Sarah Black
- Minnesota, 638, coached by Migliazzo, Petit, Rott and Rott
- Kentucky, 631, coached by Larissa Tucker and Bland Baird
- Ohio, 628, coached by Sherry Smith
- Illinois, 623, coached by David Fischer
- Pennsylvania, 613, coached by Chad Dechow
- Indiana, 606, coached by Greg Klopfenstein
Top Ten Individuals – Reasons:
- Matthew Gunst, 234, Wis.
- Dawson Nickels, 228, Wis.
- Faith Burton, 227, Md.
- Ben Buske, 227, Wis.
- Kylie Nickels, 226, Wis.
- Todd Allen, 226, Md.
- Alicia Hoff, 225, Md.
- Jacob Twohey, 224, Minn.
- Miriah Dershem, 223, Minn.
- Lora Wright, 222, Mo.
The National 4-H Dairy Cattle Judging Contest is made possible in part through the generous support of Platinum Level Sponsor, Monsanto, Gold Sponsors DeLaval, Inc. and Westway Feed Products.
For over five decades, the global dairy industry has been meeting in Madison, Wis. for World Dairy Expo. Crowds of nearly 75,000 people from more than 100 countries attended the annual event in 2016. WDE will return Oct. 3-7, 2017 as attendees and exhibitors are encouraged to “Discover New Dairy Worlds.” Visit worlddairyexpo.com or follow us on Facebook and Twitter (@WDExpo or #WDE2017) for more information.