The annual Youth Classic Dairy Show is set to go on September 13th at the Fayette County Fairgrounds in West Union, Iowa.
This is a unique event designed for youth in the dairy industry,Youth Dairy Classic chairperson Katie Steinlage explains, “The Youth Dairy Classic is a show that embodies the spirit of having fun while learning some of the fundamentals of successful dairying. We believe the success of the show—over 85 exhibitors and over 220 animals–reflects that our dairy youth also enjoy this activity. We are please to announce that many of the exhibitors continued on the tanbark trail to earn national recognition with their animals at World Dairy Expo and at North American International Livestock Exposition.”
Entries are due on August 29th and the following are more details about this unique youth event:
- Open to any youth who was 9 years old and no more than 21 years old on January 1, 2015.
- No geographic limitations for exhibitors.
- Ownership of animals is required prior to May 15, 2015. Registration must be at least partially in the junior’s name or a family farm name, or animal must be a bonafide 4-H or FFA project. Exhibitor must bring some form of identification such as registration papers, DHIA or grade ID.
- Registered and identified female animals are eligible. Grades with proper 4-H and FFA identification form are welcome to show.
- NICC Dairy Science Club members are allowed to show as long as they meet the age requirements, and have written proof from Dave Lawsteun, that they have worked with the animal project.
- There is no entry fee. If you would like to donate or sponsor an award please contact Katie Steinlage.
- A Supreme Jr. Champion and a Supreme Grand Champion will be chosen.
- Trans Ova has been named as one of the Elite Sponsors of the show. Trans Ova is providing a certificate for an IVF cycle with conventional or pre-sexed semen to both the Supreme Grand Champion and Supreme Junior Champion of the show. Each certificate will have a value of $750. The exhibitors who receive these certificates may choose to upgrade the service that they use to include reverse-sorted semen by making up the difference in price.
- Prizes include cash, chutes, show halters, clippers and other show supplies. Each exhibitor will receive a prize.
- Entries must be postmarked on or before August 29, 2015. Entry blanks are available by mail or Call Katie Steinlage at (563)422-0190. Late entries may be denied. Email entries to email@example.com. Entry Blanks may be copied and shared with new exhibitors.
- Cattle may begin arriving at noon on Friday, September 11, 2015 and must be in place by 11:00 a.m. Saturday, September 12th. If there is a time conflict, please notify Katie right away so accommodations can be made. Any early set up of bedding is determined by the Fayette County Fairgrounds, not the Youth Classic.
- Check-In will begin at noon on Saturday.
- Cattle will be released immediately following the completion of the show on Sunday.
- Exhibitors must furnish all their own hay and bedding. Straw or shavings are acceptable.
- Milking parlor facilities will be available.
- Substitute animals are eligible for this show as long as they meet all of the above criteria.
- Open to all youth ages 9-21 on the day of the contest.
- Pre-registration Required (No Entry Fee)
- Youth who have won previous Youth Classic Fitting Contests are ineligible to compete.
- Contestants must provide an animal to fit. Contestants need not own the animal they fit. Contestants are responsible for obtaining permission from the owner, if the animal is not his/her own. The animal must be entered in the Youth Classic Dairy Show.
- Only the head and legs of the heifer may be clipped before the contest.
- Contestants must provide their own fitting equipment.
- Contestants will have 60 minutes to fit their animal to show ready.
- Awards will be presented during the Youth Classic Dairy Show on Sunday.
The following scorecard will be used:
- Ease of handling equipment 20 points
- Proper clipping technique on body 20 points
- Proper topline grooming 30 points (Including blowing and clipping)
- Hair is blended properly 10 points
- Proper use of sprays and adhesives 10 points
- Preparation completely finished 10 points