The Holstein Association USA, Inc. (HAUSA) board of directors held its fall meeting November 15-16 in Rosemont, IL. President Boyd Schaufelberger chaired the day-and-a-half session.
The board approved the 2018 Management-by-Objective Business Plan and associated budget, as presented by management. The 2018 Business Plan forecasts growth in Holstein Association USA’s core products and services.
Update on 2017 Business Plan
Management reported registrations through October totaled 306,109, which represents a one percent increase over the same time last year. Holsteins identified through the Basic ID program, stood at 291,792, up 14 percent. When combined, registrations and animals identified through Basic ID equaled 597,901. This is an impressive seven percent increase when compared to 2016.
Reporting through October, 346,169 cows in 1,747 herds were enrolled in Holstein COMPLETE®. This represents an increase of 17,521 animals, or five percent, with a three percent decrease in herds, when compared to October 2016.
Bill VerBoort, AgriTech Analytics general manager, reported enrollment at the end of September was 952,651 cows.
The board approved funding for a genetics research project which will be led by Dr. Christian Maltecca of North Carolina State University. Results from this one-year project are expected to help members and Holstein breeders make better breeding decisions through a more thorough understanding of inbreeding. As approved by the Holstein Association USA Board in 2014, a portion of reserve fund money can be allocated for breed improvement and research. In keeping with that, money from the reserve fund will be used for Dr. Maltecca’s project.
- Show items approved by the board include:
- eleven (11) 2018 National Holstein Shows. This is the same list as last year with one additional show approved – the Western Fall National Show in Salem, Ore.
- § changes to the 2018 Uniform Class List. These changes would allow the Fall Yearling class and Summer Calf class to be optional at Fall National Shows.
- § holding the 2019 Judges Conference at the Ohio Spring Dairy Expo. The 2018 Conference will be held in Madison, Wis. on April 26.
- § 2018 National and Qualified Judges Lists; both lists will be published on the Association’s website;
- § modifying the 2019 Judges List application form to provide optional enhancements to their online listing, including a biography, photo, and key judging career highlights.
The board approved the release of 1,641 prefixes, effective December 31, 2017. Since its inception in 2009, board policy allows the release for reuse of a prefix after 20 years of non-use and makes it easier for new members to acquire prefixes for their herds.
The list will be posted on the Holstein Association’s website to give notice to membership. This year the board approved permanent retirement of two prefixes: ROMANDALE and WOODBINE-K. If someone wants to permanently retire his or her prefix prior to the release date, they may contact Customer Service at 800.952.5200 and request to do so for a $100 fee.
The next board meetings are:
· Spring board meeting March 22-23, 2018, in Hartford, CT.
· Summer board meeting June 29-30, 2018. This will be in Acme, MI, held in conjunction with the 133rd Annual Meeting.
For more information about any of the Association’s programs and services, visit www.holsteinusa.com, or call Customer Service at 800.952.5200.