- Josuper ( Supersire x Beacon x Jango) increases 49 TPI points and goes tied from #5 last round to #1 this round (+2806 TPI), four points ahead of former #1 Delta who dropped 37 points to 2802 and the #2 proven sire.
- Hurtgenlea Richard Charl (Charley x Yoder x Supersire) is the new #1 sire over 1 year of age for TPI at +2903.
- Walnutlawn Blake (Doorman x Atwood x Shottle) and Walnutlawn Solomon (Doorman x Lavanguard x FBI ) debut as the #1 and #2 proven type sires in the US.
- BLONDIN THUNDER STORM (CYCLE DOORMAN JACOBY x SHEEKNOLL BEEMER 2597) is the #1 Genomic Type Sire in the World (PTAT and CONF).
- CDCB updated the way they calculate Productive Life, which impacted industry bulls more than expected – and for more than just PL.
The multiple-trait Productive Life (PL) processing for incoming Interbull data has been completely revised to prevent the emergency actions taken in April and August 2017. The new system no longer tries to forward the differences between single and multiple-trait PL from one generation to the next. This logic tended to inflate the resulting evaluation, affecting primarily foreign bulls. Since foreign bull evaluations were inflated, SNP effects used to estimate genomic evaluations were affected, extending the inflation to the general population (e.g., including domestic animals).
- This is not a base change. The variable rollback adjusts for previous inflations, and that means an average TPI and NM$ drop for most bulls this proof round. Top-ranking bulls saw more extreme drops, but on average, according to CDCB, this calculation adjustment equated to the following:
- Currently marketed industry HO genomic bulls: ↓ 1.5 PL | ↓ 1.4 DPR | ↓ 37$NM
- Currently marketed industry HO daughter-proven sires: ↓ 0.8 PL | ↓ 1.0 DPR | ↓ 18 $NM
- To account for previous inflation, be prepared to see lower PL, DPR, TPI, NM$ and customized index values for most bulls. The industry-wide decrease means you’ll want to readjust your mindset on the acceptable values for these indexes and traits.
- CDCB RELEASED SIX NEW HEALTH TRAITS – These traits, shown as resistance to each disease, are: Milk Fever, Displaced Abomasum, Ketosis, Mastitis, Metritis, and Retained Placenta. These traits are six of the most common and costly health events impacting dairy herds. Preliminary results and test files were shared to the industry in December 2017. Positive predicted transmitting abilities (PTAs) measure resistance to these health disorders. For example, a mastitis PTA of +3 indicates that 3% fewer daughters will get mastitis during each lactation. Data from herds all over the country are included in April. Further research is ongoing to: i) extend health evaluations to other breeds; ii) further improve the evaluation model; iii) include these results in the international exchange of evaluations; iv) increase data consistency and sources. Please note that since this is the very first release of this new evaluation, reliabilities are expected to be lower than in the future, when more and more records will be included in the database. These traits are not yet included in the lifetime net merit (NM$) formula. For further information please refer to the content/uploads/2017/09/CDCB-Health-Traits-FAQs-10_2017.pdf
Top Proven TPI Sires
Josuper ( Supersire x Beacon x Jango) increases 49 TPI points and goes tied from #5 last round to #1 this round (+2806 TPI), four points ahead of former #1 Delta who dropped 37 points to 2802 and the #2 proven sire. The highest new release sire is Dante ( Mccutchen x Robust x Planet) who at +2680 is the #6 Proven Sire. Follow by another new release sires Director ( Predestine x Robust x Planet) who is the #7 proven sire in the US at +2648.
See the complete list of proven sires (Top 200 Proven Sires APRIL 2018)
Top Genomic TPI Sires
Hurtgenlea Richard Charl (Charley x Yoder x Supersire) is the new #1 sire over 1 year of age at +2903. Followed closely by S-S-I Pr Renegade (Jaltaoak x Millington x Davinci) who is the #2 genomic sire over one year of age at +2873. Bomaz Skywalker ( Jedi x Cabriolet x Mogul) who was #1 last round, holds steady at #3.
See the complete list here (Top 100 Genomic TPI Sires <1 year of age – April 2018)
Top Proven PTAT Sires
Walnutlawn Blake (Doorman x Atwood x Shottle) and Walnutlawn Solomon (Doorman x Lavanguard x FBI ) debut as the #1 and #2 proven type sires in the US.
See the complete list of proven type sires at (Top 100 Proven PTAT Sires – April 2018)
Top Genomic PTAT Sires
BLONDIN THUNDER STORM (CYCLE DOORMAN JACOBY x SHEEKNOLL BEEMER 2597) is the #1 Genomic Type Sire in the World (PTAT and CONF). At +4.39T +3.22UDC +2.04FLC, he is a Jacoby x VG-85-2Y-CAN Beemer x EX-94 Bolton x VG-88 Shottle. He is also #1 in Canada at +20 Conformation (+23DGV). #2 sire is Agresti Dannys Dream, this Doorman son is +4.29T +3.27UDC +1.77FLC and is from a EX-92 Atwood x EX-90 Roy from the Snow-N Denises Dellia family. Rounding out the top sires is Blondin Raptor at +4.28T (+2.81UDC +1.90FLC). Raptor is a Solomon x VG-85-2Y-CAN Beemer x Ryan-Vu Regin Raz A Taz (EX-93) from the Roxys.
See the complete list of Genomic type sires (Top 100 PTAT Sires (over 11 months of age)– April 2018)
US Genetic Evaluations
- Top 200 Proven Sires APRIL 2018
- High Ranking Genomic Young Bulls – April 2018
- High Ranking Sire Report – April 2018
- Top 100 Genomic TPI Sires <1 year of age – April 2018
- Top 100 PTAT Sires (over 11 months of age)– April 2018
- Top 100 Proven PTAT Sires – April 2018
- Top 100 TPI® International Bulls (April 2018)
- Top 100 gNM$ Sires April 2018 (>11 months of age)
- Top 100 NM$ Proven Sires April 2018